Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Heart Rate Variability, Part 2 + Training, Week 18 4th of July


My training philosophy is highly influenced by the Charlie Francis school of thought.  Charlie Francis would say, "If you have a ferrari, don't plough fields with it!"
I believe this is one of the most important training concepts.  The more one thinks this way, they will begin to realize how INCREDIBLY designed our bodies are!  The vast majority of those in the fitness world today view their bodies as either sculptures of vanity or mindless conditioning machines with no real goal besides an ill-formed concept of "fitness."

At STRONG Gym, we believe we were created by an intelligent God and we try to think our thoughts after Him when it comes to our reasons for physical training. 
This process involves more of a holistic, well-rounded approach, looking at different biological variables to develop the most optimal means of training.
One of these variables that has really gained my interest is heart rate variability (HRV).

Heart rate variability, determined by beat-to-beat time variations in heart rate, is the outcome of dynamic control of the cardiovascular system governed by the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous activities (the autonomic nervous system).

For exaggerated example, lets say when I inhale, my beat-to beat time interval (R-R Interval or PP Interval) averages around 1 second.  When I exhale, my beat-to-beat time interval averages around 2 seconds.

On a bar graph, my heart rate beat-to-beat time intervals would look pretty much short-high-short-high for the most part, meaning it has a high degree of "variability."
If I had a low degree of variability, my heart rate beat-to-beat time intervals would look very similar regardless of inhaled/ exhaled.

I won't go to in depth in specifics of the science as my goal for this blog for me, personally, is to write down my thoughts on different subjects which could be regarded as complex to some and break these thoughts down and effectively communicate them to others.

Any who, HRV is ONLY one piece of the puzzle when it comes to physical preparation.

This morning, my HRV measured at 94 which is much higher than average.  This means I am currently parasympathetic dominant, which means my body is recovering from the day before (which was a very high intense sub maximal effort upper day). 


It will drop again as I steady out towards homeostasis (probably around 87).
Naturally due to training, my HRV baseline numbers have been higher which shows I have a well-developed parasympathetic tone.

Today, the only training I have planned are recovery methods that will stimulate my sympathetic nervous system to bring me closer to homeostasis.
This will most likely be infared sauna or active recovery methods such as tempo runs.

Feeling scatterbrained now....

Happy 4th of July!


References
1. Chen, J, “Parasympathetic Nervous Activity Mirror Recovery Status In Weightlifting Performance After Training”, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2011.

-------

WED, 4 July 2012

Infared Sauna Contrast (6:00pm)
Infared Sauna x 25 minutes
Cold Shower x 3 minutes
Infared Suana x 15 minutes
Cold Shower x 3 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment